Who is ChexSystems?
Is ChexSystems a credit bureau?
Chex Systems, Inc. is a nationwide specialty consumer-reporting agency (NSCRA) governed by the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and any applicable state statutes. The term "nationwide specialty consumer reporting agency" means a consumer reporting agency that compiles and maintains files on consumers on a nationwide basis relating to -
(1) medical records or payments;
(2) residential or tenant history;
(3) check writing history;
(4) employment history; or
(5) insurance claims.
Who has access to my ChexSystems consumer file?
Examples of legitimate requests include:
- According to your written instructions
- A business transaction initiated by you
- Pursuant to a court order or federal grand jury subpoena
- Your application for a license or other benefit granted by the government, when consideration of financial responsibility is required by law
- A child support determination, under certain circumstances
What if I still have questions? How do I contact ChexSystems?
How does ChexSystems handle online security?
How long does the closed account stay on ChexSystems file?
If I pay what is owed on my account, will the information be removed from my ChexSystems report?
The source of the information is under no obligation to remove an accurate report of account mishandling, even after payment of monies owed. However, the source of information is obligated to update the report with a paid in full or settled in full status and date when applicable. When ChexSystems receives an account status update from the source of the information, the report will be updated, but the record will remain on file.
How can I see what is in my file?
How do I order my Consumer Disclosure Report if I am hearing or visually impaired?
If you are hearing impaired, you can contact ChexSystems through a TDD Relay Operator by calling 7-1-1 and referring the operator to 800.428.9623.
How can I communicate with ChexSystems on behalf of another individual?
- A notarized Power of Attorney or
- A notarized copy of specific written instructions signed by the consumer
How can I communicate with ChexSystems about information regarding my minor child?
- A notarized copy of the minor's birth certificate
- A legible copy of the minor's Social Security card
- A legible copy of the parent or legal guardian's driver's license or state identification card
- Proof of address for the parent or legal guardian (in the form of a pay stub, utility bill or other official document bearing the address to which correspondence is to be sent)
- If your name does not appear on the birth certificate, a copy of a document confirming legal guardianship is required. The proof of guardianship must be an official court or other legally binding document.
How do I dispute information?
You have a right to dispute any information in your consumer file that you believe may be inaccurate or incomplete. Please select the following link to obtain information about how to submit your dispute.
How do I add a statement to my file?
How can I opt out of prescreened offers of credit? Are all consumers subject to prescreened offers of credit?
Under the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), consumer credit reporting agencies are permitted to include your name on lists used by creditors or insurers to make prescreened offers of credit or insurance that are not initiated by you. To learn more about prescreened offers of credit, visit the Consumer Information page of the Federal Trace Commission (FTC) website.
The FCRA also provides you the right to opt out, which prevents consumer credit reporting agencies from providing your credit file information for prescreened offers. If you choose to opt out, your name and address will be removed from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the nationwide credit bureaus at 888.5 OPTOUT (888.567.8688). You may opt out with ChexSystems at 877.OPTOUT 5 (877.678.6885). You may also click here to submit an online request to opt out with ChexSystems.
Consumers under the age of 21 will not be considered for prescreened offers unless specific consent is provided. If you are under 21 and would like Chex Systems, Inc. to allow prescreened offers of credit and insurance for you, your explicit consent must be submitted in writing to Chex Systems, Inc. Attn: Consumer Relations at 7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100, Woodbury, MN 55125.
How do I submit a complaint to Chex Systems, Inc.?
You may submit a complaint to Chex Systems, Inc. by:
Chex Systems, Inc.
PO Box 583399
Minneapolis, MN 55458
How do I contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?
P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa 52244
How can I tell if my online session is encrypted?
Why did ChexSystems deny my application or decline my request for an account?
When I contact ChexSystems, what personal information will be required to confirm my identity?
- Social Security Number
- Driver's License or State Identification
- Current Address
- Previous Addresses
Why do I have to give personal information, like my Social Security number and driver's license number?
What is “identifying information”?
Why does my consumer report only show the last four digits of my Social Security number, driver's license number and/or account number?
Why can't I get a copy of my spouse's report?
How do I fill out forms electronically?
What are my rights as a consumer under the FCRA?
I am a victim of identity theft. What rights do I have?
What is identity theft?
What is a Security Freeze?
What is a Security Alert?
What type of information could be included in my consumer file?
- Any checking account closures
- Any returned (bounced) check retailers have reported about you
- How many financial institution inquiries have been made about you and in what time frames
- How many check orders you have placed and how often
What may happen if I don't maintain a good debit history?
- Your financial institution could charge you fees for each overdraft
- The place you wrote the check could also charge you a fee, or refuse to take anymore checks from you
- You could receive calls and letters asking you to repay the money
- Your name and account information could be reported to a check verification service which could cause your checks to be declined at point of sale
- Your bank could close your checking account
- Your bank could report your closed account to ChexSystems, as a result other banks could refuse to open a checking account for you