ChexSystems® Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is ChexSystems?
Is ChexSystems a Credit Bureau?
(1) medical records or payments;
(2) residential or tenant history;
(3) check writing history;
(4) employment history; or
(5) insurance claims.
Who has access to my ChexSystems consumer file?
Examples of legitimate requests include:
- According to your written instructions
- A business transaction initiated by you
- Pursuant to a court order or federal grand jury subpoena
- Your application for a license or other benefit granted by the government, when consideration of financial responsibility is required by law
- A child support determination, under certain circumstances
What if I still have questions? How do I contact ChexSystems?
How does ChexSystems handle online security?
How long does the closed account stay on ChexSystems file?
If I pay what is owed on my account, will the information be removed from my ChexSystems report?
How can I see what is in my file?
How do I order my Consumer Disclosure Report if I am hearing or visually impaired.
If you are hearing impaired, you can contact ChexSystems through a TDD Relay Operator by calling 7-1-1 and referring the operator to 800.428.9623.
How can I communicate with ChexSystems on behalf of another individual?
- A notarized Power of Attorney or
- A notarized copy of specific written instructions signed by the consumer
How can I communicate with ChexSystems about information regarding my minor child?
- A copy of the minor's birth certificate
- A legible copy of the minor's Social Security card
- A legible copy of the parent or legal guardian's driver's license or state identification card
- Proof of address for the parent or legal guardian (in the form of a pay stub, utility bill or other official document bearing the address to which correspondence is to be sent)
- If your name does not appear on the birth certificate, a copy of a document confirming legal guardianship is required. The proof of guardianship must be an official court or other legally binding document.
How do I dispute information?
What type of documentation can I submit with my dispute?
Although not required, supporting documentation may be included with your dispute to assist with the reinvestigation. Documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- Identity Theft Affidavit
- Police Report
- Account Statements
- Paid or settled in full letters
- Death certificate
How do I add a statement to my file?
- Your statement must not exceed 100 words (200 words for residents of the state of Maine).
- Your statement must not include the names of other individuals or businesses.
- Your statement must pertain to the information contained in your consumer file.
- Your statement must not contain profanity.
- If you choose to include personal information, such as medical data, in the content of your consumer statement, that information will not be masked or removed and will be included in the delivery of your consumer report to any party inquiring about you.
- If you would like assistance in writing a clear summary of your dispute statement, contact Chex Systems, Inc. using the information listed at the bottom of the page.
How can I opt out of prescreened offers of credit? Are all consumers subject to prescreened offers of credit?
The FCRA also provides you the right to opt out, which prevents consumer credit reporting agencies from providing your credit file information for prescreened offers. If you choose to opt out, your name and address will be removed from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt out with the nationwide credit bureaus at 888.5 OPTOUT (888.567.8688). You may opt out with ChexSystems at 877.OPTOUT 5 (877.678.6885). You may also click here to submit an online request to opt out with ChexSystems.
Consumers under the age of 21 will not be considered for prescreened offers unless specific consent is provided. If you are under 21 and would like Chex Systems, Inc. to allow prescreened offers of credit and insurance for you, your explicit consent must be submitted in writing to Chex Systems, Inc., Attn: Consumer Relations at PO Box 583399, Minneapolis, MN 55458.
How do I submit a complaint to Chex Systems, Inc.?
PO Box 583399
Minneapolis, MN 55458
How do I submit a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?
PO Box 27170
Washington, DC 20038
How can I tell if my online session is encrypted?
Why did ChexSystems deny my application or decline my request for an account?
When I contact ChexSystems, what personal information will be required to confirm my identity?
Chex Systems, Inc. (ChexSystems) defines standard proof of identity as the following information. Keep in mind that there may be instances where ChexSystems requests other information as needed to complete your request.
- Social Security Number
- Driver's License or State Identification
- Current Address
- Previous Addresses
Why do I have to give personal information, like my Social Security number and driver's license number?
What is “identifying information”?
Why does my consumer report only show the last four digits of my Social Security number, driver's license number and/or account number?
Why can't I get a copy of my spouse's report?
Can I have information removed from a deceased person's ChexSystems file?
What documentation is appropriate proof of death?
How do I fill out forms electronically?
What are my rights as a consumer under the FCRA?
I am a victim of identity theft. What rights do I have?
What is identity theft?
How can I block adverse information that is a result of human trafficking?
- Your name, Social Security number, date of birth, current mailing address, email address
- Your preferred method of contact
- A statement that you are a victim of human trafficking
- Identification of the adverse information you are requesting be blocked
- Trafficking documentation in the form of any letter, report or other type of document that includes a determination of human trafficking made by:
- a Federal, State or Tribal government entity,
- a court of competent jurisdiction,
- a non-governmental organization or a member of a human trafficking task force, including victim service providers affiliated with such organizations or task forces, that are authorized to make such a determination.
- a self-certifying statement signed by a member of any entity listed above.
The request may be submitted by mail to:
Chex Systems, Inc.
PO Box 581555
Minneapolis, MN 55458
Chex Systems, Inc.
PO Box 583399
Minneapolis, MN 55458
You may also submit a request to block information using the submit your dispute now function on this website. When completing the online dispute form, please reference human trafficking in the nature of your dispute.
Your request and supporting documentation will be reviewed within 4 business days after it is received by ChexSystems. Correspondence will be sent to you using your preferred method of contact.
If you have questions about how to submit your request for a block of adverse information due to human trafficking, please contact us at 833.990.0732.
What is a Security Freeze?
What is a Security Alert?
What type of information could be included in my consumer file?
- Any banking account closures
- Any returned (bounced) check retailers and financial institutions have reported about you
- How many inquiries have been made about you and in what time frames
- How many check orders you have placed and how often
What could happen if I don't maintain a good debit history?
- Your financial institution could charge you fees for each overdraft
- The place you wrote the check could also charge you a fee, or refuse to take anymore checks from you
- You could receive calls and letters asking you to repay the money
- Your name and account information could be reported to a check verification service which could cause your checks to be declined at point of sale
- Your bank could close your account
- Your bank could report your closed account to ChexSystems, as a result, other banks could refuse to open an account for you
How can I protect my financial health as a service member?
What is a data breach?
How does a data breach happen?